Junior Infants Blog
Good morning everyone,
I hope you are all keeping well and that you enjoyed a lovely Mother's Day yesterday. If there is anything you would find helpful that you don't currently have - please let me know: email@example.com
Please don't feel under any pressure to use these activities or to get everything covered, you are your child's primary educator and any activities you can do with them will be beneficial. Junior and Senior Infants' school days consist of playful and game based learning, along with an hour of play a day. Playing outdoors, learning life skills like gardening and cooking, creating junk art, building constructions and make believe play are all brilliant for the development of language, problem solving skills, social skills, creativity...the list goes on!
Here is some content and ideas for literacy and numeracy this week, the activities can be spread out over the course of the week!
1. Sight Words
At school we had just started working on this group of sight words in preparation for our next reader 'The New Pet': she, he, can, call, little, like, what, where, new, me, we
I have attached a video of how the children can make their own sight word game from a cereal box, you can keep the cards and use them every day to revise this group of sight words.
**Some of these words are new to the children, if they are unsure or having difficulty - reduce the number of words in the set or they can repeat the words after you**
Junior Infants: New sound: L
- Jolly Phonics songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qpn2839Kro&list=RD1Qpn2839Kro&start_radio=1 'l' song is 3mins 30secs into the video
- How to make the sound: It is important that the children learn the correct pronunciation of the sound. I have attached a video clip to this post. Get the children to look at themselves in the mirror while making the l sound. What does your mouth do to make the sound?
- Sounds like Phonics is now free to access online - lots of nice games on this site, many of the activities are similar to what we do in class. To access: https://slp.cjfallon.ie/ click into activity book A -> unit 2: The Market -> Letter l (or any letter you wish to revise)
- If you want to avoid screen time: search the house/garden for items that start with l, make a poster and draw pictures of things that start with l, writing capital L and lowercase l, making L and l out of PlayDough or out of stickers, finding L and l in books and in the newspaper.
3. Weekly Readers - Attached to this post
1. Decodable reading to revise phonics and blending: Get the Pets
2. Sight word reader: Where They Hid
Make sure the children point to each word as they read. Discuss the pictures.
After a couple of days reading the books, if you want an extra challenge - print off the book and cut the sentences off the pictures, see if your child can match the sentences to the pictures, or choose one sentence to cut up and mix it up and ask your child to put it into the correct order.
- Mental maths: counting 1 - 10 and 10 - 1, sums to 5 (What is 2 +3?, 3 +1? and so on), starting at different numbers and counting on to 10 (start at 3: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10), counting to ten and skip no, 2 (1, __, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
We have covered lessons 1 - 21 in Abair Liom A
To revise and access games: https://www.kilkerleyns.com/school-blog/free-access-to-abair-liom-online-for-all-classes
The Body Coach Tv on Youtube: Joe Wicks PE videos every day at 9am (can watch later on too!)
Make your own obstacle course outside
Cosmic Kids Yoga on YouTube
Most importantly, I hope you are all keeping safe and well. I am missing you all!
Have a look at what is happening in Junior Infants!