Here we will outline a menu (choose the activities that suit you and your child) of Literacy activities for our Junior and Senior Infants to complete during this school closure starting tomorrow, Friday 13th March.
Activities to develop fine motor skills/writing:
Cutting and sticking: Cutting out pictures, letters and words from newspapers, catalogues and magazines. Sticking the pictures/words to create collage, words or sentences. Cutting in straight lines, zigzag lines and curved lines - templates can be found here: https://www.twinkl.ie/resource/spring-aistear-lines-cutting-skills-activity-sheet-roi-t-20162637 (twinkl is free for parents and teachers to use for the next month)
LEGO/construction toys: Can you build a tower? a ramp? a bridge? a person? a castle? a house?
PlayDough: Using playdough to create food, to make letters, to make numbers. PlayDough workouts on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JaF0mjG4e8
Tracing: Tracing letters/patterns/shapes/pictures. Templates can be found here: https://www.twinkl.ie/resource/t-l-4792-pencil-control-activity-cards
Colouring: Colouring in colouring books, pictures drawn by the children, creating artwork.
Writing: Writing sight words, writing known letters, writing their names, creating simple sentences using sight words and drawing a picture to match the sentence. Copying sentences/words/letters written by parents/guardians. Copying sentences from class reader/library books.
Oral Language Development:
- Playing Simon Says, I Spy, Memory games (I went to the supermarket and I bought ____)
- Talking about picture books and movies, making predictions, retelling the story, sequencing stories
- Acting out stories from picture books
- Playing dress up, having a talent show or a fashion show
- Saying poems, nursery rhymes and singing songs
- Following instructions and recalling instructions (helping out around the house, completing a list of jobs)
- Making phone calls to family members - working on greetings, conversation starters and sharing news
- Playing in the home/outdoors, participating in make believe play with toys/costumes
- Jolly Phonics Letter Sounds (app)
- Teach your monster to read (app)
- Khan academy kids (app)
- Twinkl - Lots of resources here that are free this month. Worksheets, colouring, games, sight words, bingo!
- YouTube: Jolly Phonics songs, picture books read aloud, sight word songs, nursery rhymes and songs